Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmastime, Christmastime is Here Again!


Merry Christmas! I know this is late, but my Christmas was pretty packed. 

After moping for the better part of a a couple of days thinking I'd have to spend it alone, I got two last-minute invitations to Christmas dinner--one Christmas Eve in Marseilles, the other Christmas Day in La Ciotat. Neither dinner was "traditional" in the strict sense, but then again nowadays, who does that? "Traditional" is sort of code for "boring" in my opinion. Not always, but often enough. 
I tagged along to an invite from my friend Marianne on Christmas Eve. She is actually Jewish, so the holiday doesn't mean much to her, but we were celebrating with Frenchies. We had Thai and tons of desserts--a bûche de noël among others. It was a lot of fun!

On Christmas Day, I went to the house of one of my fellow teachers, Valérie. who had her family over for dinner. It was delightful, though she said her Christmas dinner wasn't exactly "traditional" either. She made risotto and roast beef, which is apparently "too Italian" to be French, though we did have a lovely salad and cheese selection along with lots of desserts. She made a fruitcake for the first time. I thought it turned out well.

Here are some "fesitve" pictures of La Ciotat! They put up fish as their town Christmas decorations near the port...I'm guessing in an attempt to cash in on the "traditional fishing village" motif? If Cassis can do it, so can they, after all!







Joyeuses Fêtes!

No comments:

Post a Comment